B & E meats now is caring authentic Japanese Wagyu A5 beef.
Reserve your Ribeye or Tenderloin steak today!
Orders must be placed a day in advanced unless picking it up in Newcastle location.
Here are some quick facts about Japanese beef, or otherwise known as Japanese Wagyu. Wagyu literally means "Japanese cow" referring to four native breeds: Japanese Black, Japanese Brown, Japanese Shorthorn, and Japanese Polled. In terms of Kobe beef, it can only be called “Kobe” if it came from the Hyogo prefecture (of which Kobe is the capital city) of Japan. Kobe beef can only be called Kobe if it went through a rigorous certification process from the region in Japan. The certification will have the nose print of the beef and all the history of lineage, breed, birth date, and slaughter date.
Wagyu is very well marbled with higher percentages of monounsaturated fats, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and is lower in cholesterol than commodity beef.
Wagyu beef is fed a special nutrition-rich diet and raised in as much of a stress-free environment as possible.
To be authentic certified Japanese Kobe Beef the following criteria need to be met:
- Breed of cattle is pure lineage Tajima (Tajima-Gyu), between 28-60 months of age, born, raised and slaughtered in the Hyogo Prefecture of Japan.
- Certified as having a yield score of A or B.
- Japanese Meat Grading Association quality score of 4 or 5.
- BMS (Beef Marbling standard) score of 6 or higher on the Tajima-Gyu marble grading scale of 1-12.
- Has the “Japanese Chrysanthemum” seal officially certifying it as Kobe Beef.